The first headquarters for Lutheran worship and activity was established during the 1890 Chautauqua season at 28 Foster, the summer home of Pastor and Mrs. Isaac O. Baker of Erie, PA.
The initial aim was to make the headquarters a common meeting place for all Lutherans, irrespective of nationality, language or synodical affiliation.
For 125 years there has been a Lutheran presence at Chautauqua and a Lutheran House since 1925. An important part of our Lutheran ministry has been to create a welcoming place for our guests. We have been fortunate to have had the following women as Hostesses during the past 90 years.