The Lutheran House, located on the Brick Walk, is known affectionately as The Mighty Fortress in the heart of Chautauqua Institution. Facilities include:
- Thirteen guest rooms on the second and third floors.
- Each room has a sink, ceiling fan and air conditioner.
- Bathrooms (some with shower/tub combination or walk-in showers) are located on each sleeping floor and the lower level.
- A large, attractive dining room on the lower lever, which adjoins a guest-shared fully-equipped kitchen.
- Shared kitchen facilities include: Dishes, flatware, two stoves, microwave ovens, cookware and utensils; A Weber grill just outside the kitchen door; Ample storage space for dry and canned goods and 1⁄2 of a full- size refrigerator/freezer. (Coolers may be stored in the supply room.)
- A main floor open gathering space accommodates worship and conversation with a corner for viewing TV.
- Shaded porches on the first and second floors.
- Wireless Internet access.
- Furnished Linens.
Mid-week, on Wednesday morning, fresh, clean towels are provided and mirrors and sinks are cleaned.
An outdoor grill stands outside the kitchen door for all to use.
The Lutheran House Policy on Wine & Beer
Moderate consumption of wine and beer is permitted at the Lutheran House on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution. Alcoholic beverages shall be confined to the dining hall (lower level) and the second floor porch. On special occasions and with the Board’s approval, alcohol may be served in the first floor living room. Please note: Only wine and beer are permitted.
The Lutheran House Host/Hostess shall have authority to warn guests about excessive consumption and any resulting inappropriate behavior. If deemed necessary by the Host/Hostess, following consultation with an officer of the Board, the guest(s) may be asked to immediately vacate their residence at the Lutheran House without any refund of room rental.
About the association
The mission of the Lutheran Chautauqua Association is to provide a Lutheran identity on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution through witness, worship, fellowship, hospitality and recreation.